Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay. If he was intending to transfer the UBS Roth account to Vanguard anyway, I still would have suggested he just move the 401(k) money to Vanguard in the first place. He still would have had to deal with transferring the UBS Roth IRA to Vanguard, and probably would have still would end up paying a $95 fee.

The one good thing about our financial adviser is that he makes transactions easy, and he is not charging Youngest a fee...yet. So letting the FA deal with the transfer and conversion makes life easier, and the fee will be $95 either way. Hopefully we can pay for that fee from outside of the Roth. Vanguard on the other hand has been a PITA when it comes to the smallest changes. Things our FA did with just a phone call would have required 23 pages of documentation with Vanguard. Paperwork tends to be my Achilles heel.

I haven't ever asked Vanguard to reimburse fees, so I don't know if they will. But it can't hurt to ask. If they say no, you can always look around for another brokerage that will reimburse fees, or is at least offering an incentive that will pay back some/all of the fee. You may want to wait until early 2019, since the IRA transfer offers seem to be sweeter between Jan 1 and Apr 15. Even Merrill Edge often ups their amount offered from $600 to $900 during that timeframe.

Wonderful. Thanks for the timing tip. Just got off the phone with Vanguard and they are a no go on fee reimbursement. At least they don't charge you when you transfer out an account either. Merrill Edge was the other place we are looking at going to with our funds, though I suspect Vanguard is probably still better for Youngest. At least that way if he decides down the road he wants to be more involved with investing than a few mutual funds, he can transfer it to where he wants fee free. With his ADHD we are trying to keep things very simple for taking over his investments.

Since you have an account(s) both places, can you pro/con it for me for brokerage? Your faves and pet peeves, which I understand will not be all inclusive and I will do my own due diligence. I am a pretty vanilla investor with buy and hold stocks, mutual funds and ETFs being my main tools. Is Merrill Edge any better/easier to use than Vanguard? Fees would be negligible at both places for us, so that's not a huge consideration. Right now my brain is so numb from reading endless pages of legalese on-line disclosures from both places that I am becoming incoherent.

As always, your input is much appreciated. I'm sure none of us say that often enough.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.