Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Okay, let me ask you and anyone else about WORK aka Slack.

Recently, some very smart traders I know went off to a Slack board to discuss Tesla's last earnings call. The board is by invitation only and I'm still good to go back to that room or board or meeting place or whatever the hell you call it.

Anyway, the guy who founded this space on Slack is millennial (I'm a boomer) and most of the traders were Millennials or Xers.

The one thing which I could not get over is how lame the Slack experience was.

It reminded me of AOL chatrooms from 1996.

I don't get how anyone, anywhere, can find value in a chat room in 2019 where if you have 100 people, the conversation flies by you faster than 1996 AND you have to contend with links, photos, videos, memes, emoticons etc. junking up the discourse, much of which had nothing to do with Tesla.

So, if any of you have ever used Slack, please, tell me, what makes it a valuable tool for communication?

I don't get it.

What am I missing?

Let's say somebody posted a great chart and link two days ago. Okay, I want to go back and see it? Now I have to scroll through two days of commentary, much of it OT, and I spend 15 minutes to find what I'm looking for? Where's the value?

Fool's old-time community boards are much better suited with specific headlines and threads.

What am I missing with slack and their invite communities and their open communities?

Seems to me the invite communities (like the TSLAQ folks I spent one-day with) are built for confirmation bias.

I just don't get it.

At least on Twitter I can block robots and cult members from junking up my timeline, while engaging some decent Tesla longs who you can lead to Elon's lies or hashtags such as #TeslaCustomerServiceIssues #TeslaAutoPilotIssues, etc.

Slack? It's a madhouse. There's no way to take your time answering someone as their question, if not answered within 5 minutes, seems like you are ignoring them.

Somebody from Fool, tell me why Slack is valuable to you.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.