Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay. Now I think I'm beginning to understand what you're saying. From your POV (and which will be my POV pretty soon I hope), it's relevant.

However, since my current capital is so small, and since the amount I am putting in is large compared to the capital value, don't the rewards of taking on additional risk, and the "dollar cost averaging" bonus of regularly investing in a volatile asset, more than make up for the probability of an impairment?

Let 's put it this way. How can we calculate risk adjusted returns for impairment of capital when it's hard to manage the risks? Does the fundamentalist's benchmark "debt-to-equity ratio" figure into your calculations? How do you know when the mamangement isn't telling you the whole story? [Yes, I read the WSJ, but if you bail whenever they're nervous about a stock, you'll miss a lot of winners]

BTW. I like TIPS in an IRA. I calculate the main risk as the government deciding wrong where to set the inflation numbers.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.