Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, stupid question time - Apparently, since he's only doing this with the Traditional IRA, he had the Roth 401(k) account transferred directly to Vanguard. Couldn't Youngest have opened a traditional IRA at Vanguard and have both of the rollovers sent there, if he was planning on doing the conversion anyway?

He's had his Roth at UBS, where we have our accounts for the time being, since inception. The TIRA was created to take the company contributions from his Roth 401K. The TIRA is being converted to the Roth and there will only be a Roth IRA to transfer.

Yes, I have to ask about if they charge a fee to send a check or is that only for transfer directly to another brokerage, but I am not looking to tick off our financial adviser any more than I have to at the moment, and am trying to figure out my options before asking questions.

Since he will be getting out of the positions he is in anyway, how much of a tap dance would it be to just take possession of the funds directly and roll it over ourselves? I have multiple accounts I need to do this for, having my own Roth, Traditional and Inherited IRA. Only 1/year allowed per person? Since the inherited IRA is under Dad's name, would it count against me?

He could ask Vanguard if they will reimburse the fees.

Have you (or anyone else) ever had luck with Vanguard doing this?

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.