Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
From reading some comments on Okta, they sound an awful like critics of Trump, but nicer. Basically down playing what each is doing. You may personally dislike Trump, but he is getting things done.

You may personally think Okta is nothing special, even as it dominates its markets.

Ahhh...seems to me that the conventional wisdom is wrong at least 50% of the time (and that is being very nice to the conventional wisdom). Wrong actually far more often. I see it in my legal arguments, yesterday another opposing attorney laughed at my motion. I don’t file frivolous motions. The last two times that happened they were not laughing when I walked out of the courtroom.

I get the feeling the same is true of Trump, and the same is true of Okta.

The analogies do not end there however. Cisco filing a frivolous lawsuit against Arista. Guess who else just filed a frivolous lawsuit...

Prerequisite before moving forward on that lawsuit is producing the servers for forensic evaluation...oh but we cannot do that because they’ve already been wiped and sent out to a third party (not the FBI). So much for that lawsuit, but it helps the fund raising that is in the crappers.

Point being, what Okta does is much more than the conventional wisdom says it does, and it is actually doing it with little real competition, all the big bad names aside. Sailpoint, its partner, really completes Okta. That would pretty much double the marketcap of the company, but if it doubled the revenues and market opportunity as well without slowing growth...well then that may be good.

As of now they are just partners.

Barriers of entry...I have no doubt that if Microsoft put a whole business unit on it and said become number in this market as if you were an entrepreneurial start up wth a $500 million budget that Microsoft would, in a few years, create a product that could be dominant. Particularly if it is not only for 365, but from 365 can link to the entire enterprise.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should become a marketing exec at Microsoft. That does not sound like a half bad idea. But then again it would take years of unprofitability. Microsoft has changed, i suppose it has produced loss leaders for years with its tablets and laptops, so it could try here. But as things stand now, no. Not a real competitive threat, and neither is Amazon.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.