Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
From reading some comments on Okta, they sound an awful like critics of Trump, but nicer. Basically down playing what each is doing. You may personally dislike Trump, but he is getting things done.

You may personally think Okta is nothing special, even as it dominates its markets.

Ahhh...seems to me that the conventional wisdom is wrong at least 50% of the time (and that is being very nice to the conventional wisdom). Wrong actually far more often. I see it in my legal arguments, yesterday another opposing attorney laughed at my motion. I don’t file frivolous motions. The last two times that happened they were not laughing when I walked out of the courtroom.

I get the feeling the same is true of Trump, and the same is true of Okta.

The analogies do not end there however. Cisco filing a frivolous lawsuit against Arista. Guess who else just filed a frivolous lawsuit...

Prerequisite before moving forward on that lawsuit is producing the servers for forensic evaluation...oh but we cannot do that because they’ve already been wiped and sent out to a third party (not the FBI). So much for that lawsuit, but it helps the fund raising that is in the crappers.

Point being, what Okta does is much more than the conventional wisdom says it does, and it is actually doing it with little real competition, all the big bad names aside. Sailpoint, its partner, really completes Okta. That would pretty much double the marketcap of the company, but if it doubled the revenues and market opportunity as well without slowing growth...well then that may be good.

As of now they are just partners.

Barriers of entry...I have no doubt that if Microsoft put a whole business unit on it and said become number in this market as if you were an entrepreneurial start up wth a $500 million budget that Microsoft would, in a few years, create a product that could be dominant. Particularly if it is not only for 365, but from 365 can link to the entire enterprise.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should become a marketing exec at Microsoft. That does not sound like a half bad idea. But then again it would take years of unprofitability. Microsoft has changed, i suppose it has produced loss leaders for years with its tablets and laptops, so it could try here. But as things stand now, no. Not a real competitive threat, and neither is Amazon.

Tinker
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 17
Hi Tinker,

I get the same feeling about critics of Okta. I also get the feeling that they have never had to deal with IAM personally, or they would understand quite well what Okta is doing.

Is it flashy and sexy? Nope.

Is it essential to how a business operates? Yep.

I work in high-tech. We're a small company. It was 50 people when I got there a few years ago. Since then we've grown to over 500 and been acquired by a much larger company. We have Okta, the parent has they're own home-grown widget or some other 3rd party thing. I don't even know. Okta is far superior. Here are just some of the things we've done with Okta:

Integrated:
- Salesforce
- all of the Atlassian products
- Sumo Logic (3rd party log aggregation SaaS product heavily used by AWS customers)
- Service Now
- InfoBlox & Device42 (network management devices)
- Cloud Academy (online learning portal)
- Slack & PagerDuty (DevOps SaaS tools)
- Savo (marketing/sales document management)
- Samilla Whitelist (automated IP whitelisting for access to things without needing a VPN)
- our own products and services so our customers can authenticate using Okta

And, given we're a security company, we also require 2-factor authentication. Which means not only is Okta tied into our AD for my username and password, but have to also use a one-time token to authenticate to Okta as well.

Even if MS came up with something that competed, it would YEARS before they were able to integrate with all these things. AWS is never going to bother with more than something that works with AWS. Why should they? They have a history of destroying upstart cloud-service companies by integrating something identical right into AWS for free or minimal charge. If Okta's only market were AWS IAM customers, I'd be very worried. But their market is far larger. It's every single company that uses a SaaS product from a third party. It's every single company who *offers* a SaaS product to *their* customers. It's easily adopted, very stick, simple to use, and incredibly simple to manage who in your company or customer-base gets access to what and when.

That is NOT an easy thing to pull off, never mind pull off as well as they have.

I like Okta better than Mongo right now. But that could be because I'm biased due to direct exposure to Okta every day, and have yet to know anything first hand about Mongo...
--
Paul - Just a geek in investor's clothing
No. of Recommendations: 3
Guess who else just filed a frivolous lawsuit...

Exactly what people were saying when the DNC filed suit against the Nixon campaign for the Watergate break in ... of course, it didn't turn out to be frivolous.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Okta is nothing like Trump.
1. It doesn't play golf every week in Florida.
2. It doesn't tweet every day about how much money it is making
3. It's obviously a Democrat because it lives in San Francisco and there isn't any Republicans there.
4. They actually put out their Financials and have them audited.
I think Okta is definitely like a Democrat.

Thanks for the tip, the more I look at it, the more interesting it is. Now that is like Trump only different :)

Andy