Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've discovered that I miscalculated the capital gains owed on a tax return that was completed 5+ years ago. I believe the limit on filing an amended return is 3 years, so what is the cheapest and most expeditious way to handle reporting this and paying what's owed? Are there any websites that do a good job of discussing issues like this? I'd do a search on this board/site but I have a feeling that trying to find information on this topic would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Any tips?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.