Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A friend is working on verifying her non-deductible contributions to TIRAs. Going through her IRA related forms, her 2005 shows an overcontribution that appears to go away in 2006 but she made the maximum contribution in 2006 and since. She doesn't remember taking a corrective distribution but is researching.

If she did make a mistake in 2005 and didn't correct the overcontribution is it passed the statue of limitations or would it still be a problem?

Hopefully she will find that she corrected the problem.

Using tax software without understanding the output is not a good choice.

Next will be venturing into her form 1116. She isn't receiving credit for most foreign taxes. It is likely correct and just need to understand it.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.