Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Butte County, Calif., authorities are puzzled by how a 68-year-old woman was able to survive in icy-cold conditions after being reported missing for nearly a week.

Paula Beth James was found in the back seat of her snow-covered silver Toyota 4Runner wearing jeans and a jacket Wednesday at noon, according to statements from the Butte County Sheriff’s Office and Butte County Sheriff Kory L. Honea.

The severely dehydrated and frostbitten James was taken to a hospital for treatment, according to the sheriff’s statement. She was reported to be in stable condition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/16/woman-went-...

Although she has dementia, she was smart--stayed in her car, drank up her waster bottle, and used the floor mats to cover herself. (I'm guessing the dementia hasn't progressed much yet if she's still driving.) A few more items would've made her more comfortable and safer...a thick blanket or quilt and a mylar sheet, thick socks & boots, a fleecy balaclava hat, at least a gallon of water, tp, emergency rations, signaling devices. Small shovel and sand/kitty litter in case of getting stuck in the snow, charging cables, antifreeze. Make sure your car and its battery are in good shape. I used to carry more emergency stuff when I lived in earthquake country (and I carry some during hurricane season, mostly a pallet of waster bottles--and keep my car in good running order for quick getaways). I add supplies when I'm driving in rural areas outside my county.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.