Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We started watching "Breakfast at Tiffany's" when it came on. Boring!? Yawnnn... I quit after a while. Did that pass as great filmmaking once?

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes. It's amazing. I have noticed that certain movies seemed so gripping, so compelling, moving many years ago when I saw them the first time seemed to have aired out over the years. I find myself saying "Is this the same movie I saw years ago...?
I watched The Spy Who Came In From the Cold last night - a Richard Burton movie from the 60s. I enjoyed it. A very different experience from any other 35+ year old movie I have watched.
No. of Recommendations: 2
FCorelli:

Yes! Another example? "White Christmas"! We recently watched it and we were amazed at how... dull... and truly cornball it was!

Oh well...

Merry Christmas anyway!!!

Vermonter
I'm waiting till after the holidays for a chance to see Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstien.Touted to be one of the best horror pictures ever made.
At one time we had longer attention spans. Now we want everything immediately.
We like old movies but have the same problem with some of them.
It was different time with different values.
I have been disappointed too many times by old movies. But other old films hold up quite well. I saw Born Yesterday last week, and wow, it could have been written about the state of politics, money and corruption that exists today. Judy Holliday's performance was astounding. She certainly deserved the Oscar she won for it.

Thank goodness this year for streaming!

Vivienne
"It was different time with different values."
We just finished watching A Patch of Blue. They cut the scenes of Sidney Poitier and Elizabeth Hartman kissing for showing in the south. Shelly winters didn't want to play the mother as she was active in the civil rights movement. She got an academy award. (1965
No. of Recommendations: 4
Great old movie with lots of stars- Gunga Din
"I'm waiting till after the holidays for a chance to see Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstien.Touted to be one of the best horror pictures ever made. "

You have got to be kidding.

Howie52
Horror is always in the eye of the beholder - but farce tends to be less involved.
I'm waiting till after the holidays for a chance to see Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstien.Touted to be one of the best horror pictures ever made.

You can stream in now for free on Peacock. In fact, I'm watching it right now. I admit I have not seen this movie since I was a little kid.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 7
Yes. 2001 A Space Odyssey is...a screen saver. The Exorcist isn’t scary. The Godfather seems sexist and dated. Saturday Night Fever? Blech. I never saw any of these until I was 40 or so. Decades late. I might see them differently if I had seen them when they came out. I was already jaded at first viewing.

Yet some films...Psycho is still amazing as are most of Hitchcock’s movies. I’m still gripping my seat. Casa Blanca. Tracey and Hepburn are still funny. Singing in the Rain is still magical and I could dance all night with Audrey Hepburn.

One that surprised me was Gone with the Wind. I remember watching it as a child and being caught up in Scarletts tragedy. Then a decade later it seemed....different. Then another decade passed and as an adult woman I found her... heartless and manipulative and a cold blooded murderer. The movie didn’t change, I did. She was a ....but she was a survivor. You had to admire that at least. But what carnage in her wake.
Kids are up we are continuing to discuss so these are a little newer.

Jaws. Perfect. Love it. There is nothing more chilling than Quint talking about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. I’ve heard it a dozen times and I still get chills. Every time.

https://youtu.be/xO60RohuARY

Alien. 1979. Still terrifying. Sequel excellent too.

The Thing. John Carpenters one.
Disney's Song of the South

Permanently locked in their vault never to be seen again.

Shame
Old movies?

How about the first ones ever made-

https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/mark-simone/content/2020-...
A couple of things cause us to evolve away from what we at one time thought was great film.

Maturity tends to substitute reality for fantasy. Timeless stories are more important than era values.

When I first watched them, I really liked movies that spoke to current events. But now so many of those seem so over-cooked and heavy handed. On Golden Pond, Deer Hunter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Midnight Cowboy, the Ten Commandments. Yes, these are good movies, but just so eyerollingly overdone.

What sticks are movies with a good message that withstands the test of time and applies today as it did when made. Pygmalion, Rear Window, China Town, Wizard of Oz, Forbidden Planet, to name a few. These I pull down and rewatch every so often.

BruceM
In high school I read Daphne Du Maurier's book "Rebecca" and I stayed up VERY late one school night to watch the 1940 version of of the book by the same name which was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I love both the movie and the book. I've read the book and seen the movie many times. I even own a copy of the book.

Fast forward to 2020 and I was SO excited to see that they were remaking the movie and it looked like they were giving more time to the beginning of the book which really interested me. I kept talking about the movie and making such a big deal about to my husband who had never read the book or seen the movie.

We watched the movie and to my horror it wasn't anything like the 1940 version and they took liberty with the end plot which really made me sad. I kept telling my husband...this is not the way it was...you just have to see the 1940 version. So we found it on Youtube and watched it within a week. DH agrees that the 1940 version of the movie is SO MUCH better!

Utahtea
Sad, but remakes are often inferior.

Odd example: "The Thing", old horror movie about a UFO crashed in Antarctica and a creature waking up and going after the people, etc. Exciting and scary. Remake was apparently about a disease or something. I never saw the later one.

Vermonter
Shane!

Come Back Shane!!