Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
In 2010 the best thing I spent money on was a trampoline for our son. Ben and his pals have bounced almost every day since July, when we assembled the contraption. Ben even wanted to jump yesterday, despite a fresh coat of 18 inches of snow. (I, on the other hand, made the mistake of bouncing 5 days before Ironman Lake Placid, and pulled a muscle that hadn't been used in 30 years.)

What will be my highest-return purchase in 2011? Pretty sure it will be the Old School Value spreadsheet, which I bought last week. Built by Jae Jun, whose articles you may have read on Seeking Alpha, this tool downloads 10 years of annual numbers, as well as the last four quarters, in 30 seconds. Then, OSV runs these numbers through a gamut of screens, including DCF, Piotroski, Graham valuation, and net-net. The SS also includes a couple of earnings quality calculations, like Altman Z.

The website is here: http://www.oldschoolvalue.com/intrinsic-value-spreadsheets

I have taken OSV SS and added a bunch of my favorite formulas. For once, I feel like I can stay up-to-date with the companies I own, as well as also study the myriad interesting opportunities that I read about on Motley Fool and in other venues.

If there is interest, I will run Tim Beyers' 2011 Scrooge picks thru the OSV model, and share the findings.

In short, if you are entering financial data into your spreadsheet by hand, spend the $100-$150 to buy your own version of OSV. Then customize with your favorite ratios. Even if you do not buy the SS, Jae has several screens to find statistically-cheap companies.

Best wishes for a prosperous 2011.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.