Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 14
There was a woman in Mom's room today that I hadn't met. She just came to the nursing home last week. She's Mom's age, 83, and also has advanced arthritis. They had a lot to talk about and were going strong. Some people walked by, waved, and offered Bea and Mom some cake. Both declined, and then the conversation really shifted into high.

"Mark took me to the store Wednesday, and they had 'em some samples of 'store cake'. He got me a piece. Lucky I had m' hankie with me 'cause I spit it out. Awful--especially the frosting!" Mom agreed that, yes, they weren't very good.

We had some fine, fine cakes when I was a kid. Mother's forte was baking. If she had a lot of time, we'd occasionally have a home-made angel food. A few months before she went to the home, she drove over with a warm sugar cream pie on my b-day. "You always liked these, and I didn't know what to buy for a present." It had been years...I didn't tell her that I had one of "Sara Lee's" relative impostors in the freezer. After this present, it stayed there a while.

"Mark pushed me up to the checkout counter. Couldn't help notice the lady in front of me had two of them cakes. They was $14.99 apiece! That's $30. 'Fore I came here, I wasn't bakin' much 'a anything any more. George is gone. If he'd 'a been alive and I'd give him a piece 'a one of them cakes, he'd 'a asked how much it cost. That'd been after he spit it out like I done. After that happened, I probably would 'a got divorce papers!"

Though Mom got 10 words in edgewise, still one of my more enjoyable visits. I like talking to an old-time baker. They're like some of the pies they used to bake: a lot of crust.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.