Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Angel Valodia Matos of Cuba is led away by his coach after he kicked referee Chakir Chelbat of Sweden (at left), when Chelbat disqualified Matos for an extended injury time out during the Men's +80kg bronze medal match against Arman Chilmanov of Kazakhstan held at the University of Science and Technology Beijing Gymnasium on Day 15 of the 2008 Olympic Games on August 23, 2008 in Beijing. Both Matos and his coach were later banned for life over the incident.

Holy Mackeral!! am I the only person that heard NOTHING about this?? Banned for life is a fairly severe penalty. I'd like to say I'm amazed I haven't heard anything about it, but truly, I'm not.
Kathleen
Holy Mackeral!! am I the only person that heard NOTHING about this?? Banned for life is a fairly severe penalty.

i saw a replay and a snip ...but maybe one of those 2 minute things between commercials at 3am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Matos#2008_Summer_Olympic...

banned for life sounds right for the Athlete ...maybe extreme for the coach

announced quipped "the first rule of TaeKwondo is 'don't kick the referee in the face'"

=
i saw a replay and a snip ...but maybe one of those 2 minute things between commercials at 3am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Matos#2008_Summer_Olympic......

announced quipped "the first rule of TaeKwondo is 'don't kick the referee in the face'"

Oh, I didn't mean the severity of the penalty was unwarranted. I meant that I was surprised that someone got hit with the most severe of penalties and there was no coverage.

I guess they couldn't spare the five minutes from volleyball.
Kathleen
-------
Oh, I didn't mean the severity of the penalty was unwarranted. I meant that I was surprised that someone got hit with the most severe of penalties and there was no coverage.

ah ......

i guess what i saw was maybe five minutes... maybe sandwiched between sets of a Vollyball ..maybe between bouts on the boxing channel (i was up half the night flipping channels)

-b
....what i found sort of fascinating about vollyball ..it's a game most of us have played, so we kind of know the rules ..but these folks play at such a speed, you can barely see the ball, and rarely tell who won the point ...But-- every time a team won a point, they'd get together and hug and the camera went to close up. Got to where that's how i determined who won the point ...
No. of Recommendations: 4

My BF was watching it live and called me into the room once it happened. They covered it for a pretty long time, and I even saw it several times after that on other channels and during other sports (when they were doing recaps of the day). I'm not really sure what more you are looking for in terms of coverage.

You really should try and get past your hatred for volleyball. I thought the women's team final was fantastic - very exciting and nailbiting. The men's was almost as exciting and definitely worth watching.
No. of Recommendations: 3
"ou really should try and get past your hatred for volleyball. I thought the women's team final was fantastic"

It's not that everyone hates volleyball. It's the disproportionate time NBC devoted to it that irks most people. And it wasn't just the women's final -- it was all the excruciating elimination matches from day 1. If I ever hear the name Misty May again, I'll puke. I wonder if the announcers would have said her full name so often if it was Ethel Rosenberger.

RB1
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's not that everyone hates volleyball. It's the disproportionate time NBC devoted to it that irks most people. And it wasn't just the women's final -- it was all the excruciating elimination matches from day 1. If I ever hear the name Misty May again, I'll puke. I wonder if the announcers would have said her full name so often if it was Ethel Rosenberger.

I suppose if all you watched was NBC you might be a little irritated, but most people have cable or satellite, which offered many more channels than just NBC. If something was on one channel that I didn't prefer, I would change it to one of the other 8 or so channels with Olympics coverage and, inevitably, there was another sport that interested me. I just don't understand the need to complain about it constantly, as I've encountered on this board (from just a few people). Just change the darn channel!
You really should try and get past your hatred for volleyball. I thought the women's team final was fantastic - very exciting and nailbiting. The men's was almost as exciting and definitely worth watching.

I don't have a hatred for volleyball. On the contrary, I usually watch it, and I'm very happy for our teams. I was annoyed that every night for over half the Olympics, I would turn on the major channel showing the Olympics live before midnight, and they would have on volleyball. I enjoyed it the first few days, but after that, I wanted to see some of the other competitions. The only other channel that we got that had live events was MSNBC and quite honestly, I kept forgetting about it. Someone mentioned Oxygen, but every time I checked it, it had it's usual stuff on.

The other NBC channels did not show anything until 2am, if then. Needless to say, my kids and I were in bed by that time, and not watching live.
Kathleen
I suppose if all you watched was NBC you might be a little irritated, but most people have cable or satellite, which offered many more channels than just NBC. If something was on one channel that I didn't prefer, I would change it to one of the other 8 or so channels with Olympics coverage and, inevitably, there was another sport that interested me. I just don't understand the need to complain about it constantly, as I've encountered on this board (from just a few people). Just change the darn channel!

I have satellite. USA did not show anything until 2am. I never did find any on Oxygen. I forgot about MSNBC (my bad, and I'll admit it), and the only other channel we saw on our line-up that showed the Olympics was UHD - which we do not get even though we have the HD package. It is a separate charge.

Anyway, the major NBC affiliate has the flagship line-up. They showed a disproportionate amount of volleyball on the station that should be showing the most variety.
Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 3
Anyway, the major NBC affiliate has the flagship line-up. They showed a disproportionate amount of volleyball on the station that should be showing the most variety.

The flagship channel is going to show what the most people are interested in. most people like volleyball. They paid over a billion dollars for the rights to this olympics, I'm fairly sure they were careful to study what people wanted to watch.

CNBC, MSNBC, USA, and Oxygen all had daytime content. If you didn't watch it, that's really not NBCs fault.
I have satellite. USA did not show anything until 2am. I never did find any on Oxygen. I forgot about MSNBC (my bad, and I'll admit it), and the only other channel we saw on our line-up that showed the Olympics was UHD - which we do not get even though we have the HD package. It is a separate charge.

i guess that's the advantage of being on West Coast .. (satellite)

i probably saw nothing actually 'live' ..but your 2am shows were 11pm for me and so i could catch them.

also ,as mentioned, being retired, i could find daytime stuff.

too much volleyball for me as well ..but i understand (i guess) why NBC felt that would get the best ratings.

=
My BF was watching it live and called me into the room once it happened.

Don't let the facts of the coverage get in the way of someone's whining!

They showed this multiple times on the NBC coverage.

Acme