Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Hi KP,

I am usually optimistic, but this analyst seemed to make some good, well reasoned points. I found it thought provoking, if not disturbing. It was reminiscent of Augieboo's recent post, which won post of the day recently, on Where We Went Wrong.

The complex inter-relationships that co-exist between telcos & carriers(AT & T & Worldcom, in the US), the systems provisioners(Lucent & Nortel) & the components manufacturers(JDSU & Avanex), financiers & venture capitalists, the public markets, boom/bust cycles, can be difficult to disentangle. But I think it is important to do so, especially to think in terms of the most important links in the chain, who is most & least vulnerable, which are the best stocks, etc.

Augieboo's post was a Godsend in this regard(sorry, I don't have link handy, but it was linked here within the last week). I believe Bruce Brown & PaulPhilip have been doing a lot of thinking out loud. If it is not too much of a gross oversimplification of their respective & collective positions, a lot of the companies in this space got ahead of themselves, & borrowed & bought equipment before they had a clear idea of what kind of services need evolve & be developed to pay for all this expansion. Kind of like shooting an ambitious & hugely expensive movie without having a script rewrite & storyboards nailed down, before going into production :^).

Unfortunately for me, some of my favorite companies/stocks are NGN players & arms dealers in this space(Juniper, Sycamore, Broadcom), & could be adversely affected bigtime if the whole "ecosytem" gets lit up & many companies go busto in the next 1-2 years. So I am reassesing the risk I am taking on by trying to establish LTB & H postions in these companies.

At $10 a share, I think SCMR will be worth substantially more than it is now in 5-10 yearsm if they are still in business, which, again, I think is highly likely. Vinod Khosla, the legendary NGN VC & guru(backed JNPR, RBAK & CORV, I think, as well as being co-founder of SUNW), stated that the optical market is appalingly oversaturated, & as many as 90-95% of them might end up being roadkill(network-kill, photon-kill? :^). Yet he also said that the oppurtunity for those that make it to the mountain top could be historically unprecedented, & this space might yield the first trillion dollar market cap.

I will continue to think about these systemic & strategic matters, & pass anything I consider important along to the board, as well as some of the more cogent & penetrating insights that crop up on the GG, TR & New Paradigm boards. Here is the aforementioned link, by Ravi Suria(there is a Part II link at the end)...

http://aol.thestreet.com/markets/marketfeatures/1359535.html

I know I found this link from one of the boards mentioned immediately above, but, alas, I just bookmarked the article proper, & not where I found it, so I can't give proper attribution for the heads up. Thanx anyway, if you are out there.

Benjamin- consider me on the installment plan, in paying back my debt to this great board for all I have learned here. With the great cast of thinkers & characters that have been inspired by Erick's leadership & example, & attracted here, he doesn't have to post a hundred times a day here to keep the flame burning bright & carry on the tradition of excellence. He just needs to be like Reggie Jackson on those great Yankees teams- the STRAW THAT STIRS THE DRINK!! :^)

Just his presence is all the MOJO I need to continue to draw from the deep wellsprings here.

t2 out, for tonight- have a good weekend all, & heres to hoping Q2 is a bit better than the last one.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.