Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
On almost every issue but national security Lieberman is an old style democrat.

=====
Lieberman is NOT an "old style Democrat," unless you mean the Dixiecrats.

Why didn't Lieberman come out against private accounts for Social Security? Why was he wishy-washy in his replies to my emails about this, always leaving open some chance he would strike a deal with BushCo? This is the same stance he took in his public discussions of Social Security last year, as discussed many times by Josh Marshall over at Talking Points Memo.

Why didn't Lieberman put up a fight against cloture on Alito when he knew having Alito on the court would endanger a woman's right to choose and many other issues involving the rights of the individual? No matter what Specter or Lieberman would have us believe, Alito is NOT David Souter. We can be 99% sure he will vote as we fear.

Did the "old school democrats" stab each other in the back all the time on television talk shows? In the newspapers or on radio interviews? Did they give the opposition ammunition?

How about school vouchers? How much is Lieberman committed to reserving our tax dollars for shoring up public schools instead of channeling those funds to private institutions (a kind of stealth "faith-based initiative")?

And regarding corporations -- wasn't it Lieberman who had a hand in allowing lax accounting treatment for stock options back in the 90s? (I'm vague on this, but I do remember reading about it.) And how much did he fight to make sure that the bankruptcy bill was fair across the entire wealth spectrum? (My guess is not much.)

There are many better Democrats than Joe Lieberman -- old school or new school. Win or lose, we are much better served standing on principle than party.

Best,
-Kevin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.