Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If cattleman wants to see how bitter divorce can be, check THIS guys out:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/22/jailed.millionaire.ap/index.html
A millionaire jailed for more than a decade for contempt in his divorce case continues to block efforts to trace his missing assets and should remain jailed, a three-judge panel ruled.

Here's a guy who is nearly 70 and seems to be happy to spend the rest of his life in jail rather than give one red cent to his ex.
Print the post Back To Top
{{Here's a guy who is nearly 70 and seems to be happy to spend the rest of his life in jail rather than give one red cent to his ex.}}

I read the article. I can not imagine being so filled with anger and hate towards anyone, much less towards someone you had loved.

But is over 10 years in prison a way too harsh punishment? I bet SP would be interested in seeing this article.

c
No. of Recommendations: 5
But is over 10 years in prison a way too harsh punishment?

Its not like he did something he can't take back like killing someone. He's hidden some money and can leave jail at any time he chooses by disclosing where it is. Generally when you're charged with contempt for not cooperating you're released immediately once you comply.
I have seen this guy's story on TV. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

ARR
No. of Recommendations: 2
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Stupid face, take that.
"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip again."

Homereag
There is a veterinarian in Urbana Il who has been in jail for similar reasons for going on five years, I think. I'll try to find a link. The guy is flat nuts. He violated a restraining order by buzzing the elementary school his children attended in a small airplane.
But is over 10 years in prison a way too harsh punishment? I bet SP would be interested in seeing this article.

Judges don't like it when you don't comply. This isn't a finite sentence. It's an ultimatum.

What a jerk.
No. of Recommendations: 7
I can not imagine being so filled with anger and hate towards anyone, much less towards someone you had loved.

with few exceptions, it is very difficult to muster up the passion to hate someone that you did not once love passionately...

peace & passion
t
No. of Recommendations: 2
with few exceptions(1), it is very difficult to muster up the passion to hate someone that you did not once love passionately...

(1) like Bill Napoli
No. of Recommendations: 1
with few exceptions, it is very difficult to muster up the passion to hate someone that you did not once love passionately...

peace & passion
t

Yay! I finally found someone that my understand my thinking**.
I always get these bizarre looks back when I answer the question, "What is the opposite of love," with 'indifference'.

Keith

** which should be really scary for you t
No. of Recommendations: 3
Yay! I finally found someone that my understand my thinking**.

I'm with you both (and finding it not at all scary). Love and hate are two of the strongest feelings we have. That strength puts them closer together rather than further apart. And, yes, 'indifference' would be my answer too for the opposite of love or hate.
I do not get that. I would say that there is a continuum with hate on one side, love on the other and indifference in the middle. For the most part, I am indifferent towards people until I observe their actions towards me and towards others. Then the needle swings towards liking or disliking. Hate or love requires sustained actions from that person to puch them into those categories. However, I attempt to not hate people through a rational control mechanism over those emotions.

c
Hate or love requires sustained actions from that person to puch them into those categories. However, I attempt to not hate people through a rational control mechanism over those emotions.

If you love someone and you believe that person loves you and then you learn that you have been betrayed it hurts like he11. People often turn hurt into anger and anger into hate.

I hope this always remains theoretical for you. No one should have that experience but sadly, some of us do.

I answer the question, "What is the opposite of love," with 'indifference'.

Heh. Did you write last week's episode of "Desperate Housewives"?
Heh. Did you write last week's episode of "Desperate Housewives"?

<ducking>
I haven't even so much as seen an episode of that show.
</ducking>

Keith
~ heretic
<ducking>
I haven't even so much as seen an episode of that show.
</ducking>

Keith
~ heretic

I also have never seen Desperate Housewives, but I will not be "ducking" as I am pretty sure that it sucks.

-CH

I also have never seen Desperate Housewives, but I will not be "ducking" as I am pretty sure that it sucks.

I saw 1 episode. But frankly the women kind of scared me, so I didn't watch any more. They all look like spiders.
I saw 1 episode. But frankly the women kind of scared me, so I didn't watch any more. They all look like spiders.

Yes, good point. I watch it for 2 reasons: Gay Matt from Melrose Place and the guy who plays Carlos, both awesome. And OK, I also like Marcia "TV's Kimberly Shaw" Cross. Her outfits alone are worth watching for. However, I admit that overall, it blows.

Did I mention I used to be an embarrassingly big Melrose Place fan?
Gay Matt...Marcia "TV's Kimberly Shaw" Cross

PLEASE tell me you've read the TWoP recaps, which, BTW, are the main reason i keep watching (in addition to the aforementioned acting talent).

Oh, and guest stars. Bob Newhart! Harriet Samson Harris! Michael McDonald! Shaft! And i've heard Carol Burnett will soon be playing Bree's stepmother.

"DH" stands as a perfect example of why i try to avoid getting sucked into TV series. Once i start watching, i pretty much have to continue watching to the bitter end, no matter how bad the show becomes.