Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi everyone...

So, I leased a 2011 Kia Soul ! for 3 years, and the lease ends around September.

I know that, if I return the car, I have to pay a $900ish 'disposition fee' Otherwise, I can buy the Soul for the 'residual value' at the time of the lease (somewhere in the $9000 range.

I know last year, folks on the Kia forums were predicting that the Soul would be worth more than the residual value (Kia was too conservative), so I am wondering what my next move will be.

Since the lease, we have moved to the 'burbs, and no longer 'need' a tiny car (we use to live in an urban area where parking was a major concern). We also have a 2 YO who will be going to school in the next 3 years, etc.

Long story short, I am thinking that-dollar wise--buying the Soul might be a 'good deal'... Lifestyle wise, I think we need something a little bigger (like a CRV/Sportage/Rav4, etc)

I have been getting more frequent mailings from Honda dealers, etc, offering to 'buy out your lease'...

Now, I learned a LOT during my initial leasing experience... This 'lease end' phase is new to me. I really am not looking to get into a discussion for or against leasing (I know the pros/cons, I feel).. I am more looking to see if anyone has experience with leasing a new car AND having that dealership buy out your current lease--seems like a lot of options for the dealer to take advantage of the situation...

Thoughts? Should I buy out the Kia then trade it in? Or should I look now, when I dont 'need' to get another car yet...

TIA!
K
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.