Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
On the other hand, "a magic invisible immortal immaterial superbeing did it" at least changes the question from "is DNA natural?" to "do you believe in leprechauns?" Sure, it's a bronze-age superstition, but at least the argument doesn't leave him exactly where he started.

It's the super "being" part that always lifts the wall I hit. From a practical, but maybe not so much from a strict definitional or scientific standpoint, supernatural is not so hard a bridge to cross. String theory, the multiverse, quantum fluctuations in energy levels in empty space producing particles, even the very essence of life, may, in fact defy fully vetted out natural explanations, or need entities to exist outside of our universe to explain them.

A particle popping into existence from nothing is as close to supernatural as I can imagine, even if there is math to support it happening, but that doesn't necessitate going that one extra step and say that means someone or something did it. If things can happen within our natural universe, they can also happen outside it.

I feel for Bryan at times because I end up with the same dilemma he does, I'm not a scientist, and ultimately fall back on philosophy to understand the science if and when it applies to grand schemes like life, the universe, and everything.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.