Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
On the other hand, subdividing accounts and tracking lots of different little "pots of money" would be adding to my workload. But it may be satisfying to see those little pots of money grow.

It doesn't have to be. I use ING for this with automatic transfers. I have one main ING account that holds a portion of our emergency money and sub-accounts for a few specific areas. We have a vacation fund, an insurance / property tax fund, a car maintenance / purchase fund, presents, and computer (updates, software, replacement). Each month on a set day the main ING account automatically withdraws a set amount from our chequing account at the credit union and a few days later each of the sub-accounts automatically withdraws a pre-set amount from the main ING account.

We just need to keep track of any purchases related to each of these funds and transfer back to the credit union the amount to cover them at the end of the month. For some of these it is sporadic (eg. taxes / insurance) and for others it is more regular (presents - lots of young nieces/nephews). We set the amount by taking educated guesses but over time we have refined the numbers somewhat.

Hyperborea
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.