Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Once again, thank you for your thoughts on this matter. Unfortunately, as all too often happens when dealing with issues like this I am overwhelmed by the feeling that this is needlessly overcomplicated. I am however looking at this matter from the perspective of someone who is actually trying to comply with the law, not fudge my way around it.
But I digress…

Ira wrote:
If you sell stock that is jointly owned, you each are selling a portion of what is sold. You can't sell just "her" portion, or "your" portion. In order to accomplish this, you must split the account first.

Well this changes things. I had entertained the notion of selling part of my shares and keeping part. It this point I am more inclined to sell all the shares at once even though I realize we can split the shares before selling.

Peter wrote:
I don't disagree that there is a risk the IRS would take the position you mention here, but I think that with the proper documentation it could be overcome. I also agree with your suggestion that it would be far safer to just open a second account to deal with the transaction. That, in effect, makes the necessary paper trail.

I don't want to have to try and explain my “intentions” to the IRS after the fact. It seems that the work I was trying to avoid, opening a joint account simply to sell the shares, may be the easiest way to handle this. The paper work will be handled by the broker and the transaction is simple. I also believe a letter explaining our intentions at the time we open the account and deposit the shares would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Kurt
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.