Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
once wrote a short that had this as the beginning sentence: 'The toaster knew he was disliked by the refrigerator and said so to the oven,

That reminds me of a story I read in Fantasy & Science Fiction (F&SF) 20 or so years ago. I can't recall the title, but possibly Disch's "The Brave Little Toaster"?

Speaking of which, since it later became a Disney movie, and tying in the mention of "Ender" several messages back, (we) aspiring novelists shouldn't forget that a lot of books (and series) first saw life as short stories or novellas. Examples that come immediately to mind are Card's "Ender's Game," which originally appeared as a story in Analog Science Fiction and Fact magazine, McCaffrey's stories "Weyr Search" and "Dragonrider," which also appeared in Analog and gave birth to her popular "Dragonriders of Pern" series, and even Keyes "Flowers for Algernon," which he expanded from a short story he published in F&SF. And let's not forget all of the short stories that later became movies (several of Philip K. Dick's stories, for example).

There may not be a lot of money in short stories, but they might be a good "wading pool" in which to get your feet wet and hone your skills before diving into the deep end of the novel pool. And -- particularly in the SF and mystery genres -- there's ample precedent for taking two or three published short stories involving the same set of characters and weaving them into a novel.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.