Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
One concern you missed is resale value. There's not much of a market for these guys.

"The most significant issue is safety. Alternative fuels vehicles tend to be smaller and lighter than average. Additionally, the average size and weight of vehicles on the road is increasing as Americans buy increasing numbers of sports utility vehicles and light trucks for daily use. If you drive an alternative fuels vehicle and you get into a vehicle vs vehicle accident, you're going to take a beating."

That's a pretty general statement that may or may not apply in the specific. BTW, did you know that GM is offering bi-fuel SUV's? They've also got some pretty hefty commercial vehicles.

"Alternative fuels tend to cost two to three times more per mile compared to traditional fuels (gasoline or diesel)."

My preliminary research does not support this statement at all. Perhaps you could direct me to some supporting documentation?

"Refueling alternative fuels vehicles is hard because the infrastructure isn't there yet."

Yes, a definite concern, and a possible deal breaker. But I will be all over the metro area and my I have found several stations within a reasonable distance of home. I'm on the right coast, so LA is a bit inconvenient. But this is would be a bi-fuel vehicle, and has the option on using gasoline to get to the refueling station.

"Alternative fuels vehicles are expensive to maintain. The industrial base is small, and the customer base is smaller. Parts will cost more and labor probably will cost more compared to traditional fuels vehicles.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Again, my preliminary research seems to indicate that the particular vehicles I'm looking at are more reliable and long lasting, and need much less maintenance. The fact that finding a local service tech will be harder is a concern. After all, a gasoline engine service center is on almost every corner.

"If you really want to do something to reduce the number of cars on the road and automotive pollution, I recommend you advocate better public transportation. "

That's not going to happen. I'm an individualist, and prefer to make my own decision as to when I leave for a destination and how to get there. Also, I prefer to go directly to my destination without stopping to pick up/drop off other people. Aside from that, this particular vehicle would be used for work and going where I need to go on demand would be required.

I'm not particularly concerned about the environment. The planet is in good enough shape to last until well after I'm dead. After that, I won't care. I'm concerned about my pocketbook. I already know that without a tax subsidy this isn't at all likely to happen.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.