No. of Recommendations: 7
...one could be Mechanical Investing -Beginners and the other Mechanical Investing-Advanced

IIRC, there was an awful lot of bandwith occupied by the multiple threads suggesting new board names. Although the decision (after much deliberation) was to maintain the status quo, I thought that the advantage to new names would outweigh the disadvantages. Perhaps, this decision can be reviewed in 2001.

During the original debate, I proposed that the Newbie posting problem could be ameliorated by simply including on the initial MI post screen an instruction that basic questions, etc. should be posted on the Foolish Workshop (not MI) board. Although the idea was pursued at Fool HQ, I believe it was Elan who reported that the Fool programing could not support such a modification. Perhaps, such a change could be included in the next update of the Fool boards (which appear to take place fairly regularly).

Without such a modification, I do concur that occasionally "people [get] ambushed because they don't even know there's a place to ask beginner questions." Although I have the utmost respect for Ray -- and the others who disagree with my views -- I do believe that a kindler, gentler approach to newbies is always preferable.

As always,

Ganymede
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.