Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
This seemed to be a point in the previous thread's discussion to begin a new thread. I hesitate to get into this debate, but I have some experience at being diabetic and eating a low carb diet that MAY prove useful. Or I hope it will.

I was diagnosed as having Type II almost seven years agol My PCP and I have discussed and taken different approaches at different times. I was also put on oral medication at the time of diagnosis.

When I was diagnosed, I went to the Diabetic informational counseling that was then available. I have always had a been interested in nutrition and done a lot of reading, but do not claim to be exceedingly knowledgeable.

The RN and RD who ran the program were very kind and caring. They explained to me that I needed to eat a low fat diet that had 50% of my calories from carbs and that my PCP may have to increase the amount of medication to control my blood sugar levels. This sounded a tad odd to me, but since they were the experts, I was determined to follow it. We had just become parents and I wanted to be healthy and not die early.

I tried this for about three years. During that time, I gained weight, was ALWAYS hungry and controlling my blood sugars required that I take two oral medications and eventually insulin. I was walking everyday also, but never more than a mile. I just did not have the energy. Because I was not having success, my PCP referred me back to the Diabetes Education folks. They told me I was not following my diet. I told them I absolutely was. They insisted I was not, and that if I was, I should have my PCP increase my meds and insulin.

About that time a co-worker gave me Protein Power by the Drs. Eades. She was also living with diabetes and said this had helped her. I showed it to my PCP and he suggested I give it a go.

I lost 22 lbs the next three months following their recommendations for maintenance levels. For me, this was just about 70 g of net carbs/day. The more important part to me was that I was able to cut my insulin requirements by half. And I had more energy. I was able to walk 1.5 miles at this point. My PCP was pleased and we decided I could probably cut my carbs lower and I went down to about 60 g of net carb/day. I continued to loose weight and feel better.

I have maintained a carb intake of < 90 g of net carbs for about two years. I am not hungry and have a much tighter range of blood glucose readings. I am also very picky about what type of carbs I get. I eat only whole grain products and very few of them. I eat berries, but not much other fruit. I eat LOTS of vegetables. I also went back to using butter instead of margarine.

I am also off insulin completely, cut back to one oral medication and have lost a total of 38 lb (there were a couple of stretches of time that I have not been able to walk regularly due to another medical condition) and I have had a couple of times I had to go back on insulin for a few months. My blood pressure has always been on the low side, so that was not an issue. My PCP continues to be impressed with my other "health indicators" including my overall blood lipids profile. I am able to walk 2 miles a day easily and hope to increase the distance gradually. I will not go back to a diet that has 50% of its calories from carbs.

I am not suggesting that this is the best way for all diabetics. However, I think it should be presented an alternative for many. I know too many diabetics who struggle with the "recommended dietary guidelines" and are still not having success controlling their blood glucose levels, nor are they happy about their overall health.

I did not plan on this becoming a short novel, but there it is.

I wish you all the best of health, what ever dietary choices you and your trusted Health Care Professional have decided upon.

Susan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.