Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
One last comment before I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Kazim said: Now prove me wrong. It sounds like your standard is that we are free to make up any entity we want, as long as there is no writing available to contradict it.

I'm not making up any entity. Belief in some entity has been around for a long time, no need for me to make anything up. Theism has been the dominant belief of our species for a long time. That alone justifies considering it seriously. It may be wrong, but one can't just dismiss it out of hand.

There is also the question of where does the observed order in the universe come from. Science has no answer for that. We know random events can produce order and we know intelligence can. The question then is whether the order observed in the universe is more consistent with one or the other.

Atheists answer that question one way, theists the other. I don't have an objection with either, though I am curious about the reasoning. From the posts so far, the reasoning for both sides seem to rely more on faith than a lot of you are comfortable in admitting. Tough.

Now what I do object to is the assertion that the question itself is nonsensical. I think that is nonsense. I also think you folks need to learn a bit more about the correct usage of Occam's razor.

And with that bit of admitted pretentiousness I wish you all a Happy New Year.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.