Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
One last question.

I just printed the 1040X form, and it includes the 1040 long form after it. It has updated the refund amount, but I don't see that it made allowance for the original refund amount. I know it saw the difference, because in the process of doing this it showed the difference. But the return that will be filed shows the total refund I would have been due had the dividend reclassication occurred before my original filing.

Is the IRS going to send me a check for the full amount based on that form? Or is their system smart enough to subtract the original refund (from 2 years ago) and only send the difference.

I assume I must also file the complete long form with the 1040X?

Yeah...this is my first time amending...I don't want any trouble because I got a double-refund.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.