Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
One more thought. You might want to consider making at least $2,000 or so of your retirement contribution in a traditional IRA instead of the Roth so that your adjusted income will be low enough to qualify for the "Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions" that you claim on form 8880.

Since you make $28,000, the two thousand dollars traditional IRA contribution would bring you adjusted income down to $26,000 which would probably qualify you for this credit.

If you have not been taking this in prior years you may be able to do an amended return for some of the prior years to get this credit if you qualified for it then.

I'm not sure of the details of the rules, but if you have already made your Roth contribution it might still be possible tp re-charterize part of it to a traditional IRA to get this credit.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.