No. of Recommendations: 1
One of the things we did in Portland is take the ferry out to peaks island. There is a cute little town and shops. We rented bikes and did a loop around the island. There are a lot of cool beaches and rock outcrop areas to explore. Would be tough to walk around the whole island but is doable I suppose. Peaks Island is fairly flat so an easy bike ride

There is a bit more elevation change in Acadia but not too bad, unless you do Cadillac Mountain on the bike...that is a bit of a climb. The park is really set up for bikers and there are tons of trails for bikes so you aren't on the road all the time.

If you have time, do the ranger lead discussion at night on Sand Beach. You take a blanket and lay on your back looking at the stars while they discuss all the constellations and things. We really enjoyed it. I also took my camera and tripod and stayed after to get milky way shots...one of the best spots in the states for the night skies.

Cadillac Mountain at sunrise is also a very popular thing. You would be surprised how many get up early for that event. I believe that is the first spot in the US that gets sunlight due to how far east it is and its elevation.

I won't go into everything we did (we rented a house in Bar Harbor for a week). Was great to be able to just walk into town for all the restaurants and shops. It is a nightmare parking most of the time.

enjoy,
jhazens
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.