Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
One of the trade offs, however, is that you typically have to maintain the yard if you rent a house. This extra work is something a lot of people want to avoid.

Acme

I'm at that point. I've been mowing my lawns for 25 years. I'm ready to pay someone else to do it. Also, I've put in large chunks of $ into FIRE assets for 10 years now. My contributions are dwarfed by my investment returns. I can relent a bit on the contributions and instead pay a lawn service now. It's a quality of life issue now at my age. I have 1 1/2 acres that takes me 6 hours to do once a week. I'd like that 6 hours for something else like golf.

On a related note to FIGirl's question about sacrificing FIRE contributions to get a larger apartment/home, I would also consel her to consider the quality of life issue.

Find areas in your budget that you really don't miss. But if shelling out a few extra $100 for a larger apartment significantly adds value to your life now, do it. If it does not add that much value, then don't.

Only you can answer that question for yourself.

I've made many decisions like that for myself over the years. New car or used? Small home or larger? Bring lunch or buy?

- I decided on used cars because I realized "I'm not my car" and all it is is a vehicle to get me from "A" to "B".

- I decided to bring my lunch because it saves $10 per day, I eat less, eat healthier and utilize my lunch hour to excercise.

- I decided to buy a mid-sized home of 2400 sqr ft with 1 1/2 acre because it is an appreciating asset. But more importantly, that is where my family spends the majority of its time. Going back to the quality of life issue.

Other people may differ. In the end, if your pumping in 15% or more per year into FIRE assets (I do 30%), you are doing very well and most likely FIRE in your early 50's.

decath
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.