Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
One other note about tipping.

The average moving helper struggles through life. Movers tend to make $10-$15 per hour when they are working, but it is very seasonal work, and they have a hard time getting a full week's work in the best of times.

So - if you look at your life, and things are really going well for you, you might consider being generous. Seriously speaking, of all the things I've done in my life, I've never seen anything that compares to the difficulty of this job. It is grueling and relentless. Walking into the truck on a summer day can be like walking into an oven. Clearing out an attic is even worse. And you really haven't lived until you've hauled a triple wide dresser down a flight of stairs. So - use your judgement. Watch the crew and you can tell pretty quick if they are working hard, or just going through the motions. If they are giving you everything they have, and not complaining, consider what that takes. It's a hell of a way to make a living.

I may poke fun at some of my guys from time to time, but I have a lot of admiration for them. How they do what they do day after day is just beyond me.

Zath
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.