Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
One point should be made - if the house is currently owned by the estate, and not by the beneficiaries of the estate, then the gain/loss would be reported directly on the estate's income tax return(form 1041), and not on your(or the other beneficiaries) individual income tax returns.

I would suspect it is since we never signed any documents to transfer ownership and the estate is still paying the bills. Would this also mean that the estate would be liable if something happened, and not the siblings who inherit, since no transfer has yet been made? There were very few assets in Dad's estate, most of it being held in a trust.

The loss of tax benefit would be well offset if we can dodge liability. I have no control over what happens with this house since I am not the executor. Getting insurance on the property has been expensive and difficult, harder and harder to convince the others of the need.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.