Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
One reason is that fun shares a number of characteristics with drugs. Motivated by the belief that fun (and its partner, excitement) will bring happiness, many men and women become fun addicts, people who pursue fun with ever increasing amounts of energy, money, and time, and sometimes at great cost to personal lives and family.

Fun shares an additional trait with drugs—the next dose must be as strong or stronger than the previous one. For many people, fun is not satisfying in moderate doses; the “kick” is insufficient. And for those who associate fun with happiness, seeking fun in moderation is as absurd as seeking happiness in moderation.

This is great stuff. Think of this the next time you meet a "party animal" and you will experience sympathy or loathing or anything but envy for the party lifestyle.

I went through a mercifully brief party phase in my life and quickly got bored with people who think life should be one big party. This even goes beyond that to cover the adrenaline junkies who participate in extreme sports. My most extreme experience was skydiving, but that was tame compared to the guaranteed bone cruncher sports like skateboarding off buildings onto handrails. Imho, fun is darwinistic. A certain amount enhances the quality of life and more than that leads to unhappiness.

1HF

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.