Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
One that I follow and like to compare to the original Cisco tornado is Brocade and the fiber channel switching game. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Cisco and Brocade announced yesterday fiber channel over IP and if there were two firms better in the world to follow - I haven't found them yet.

Another one we will all be watching to compare how it unfolds is the business to business space provided it crosses the chasm. The book's examples of the front office game might be a good example as we view companies like Ariba, Commerce One, Oracle and i2/Aspect moving through the B2B technology adoption life cycle.

I know I posted just about everything I'm saying in this post many times before here, but thought I would once again share some recent words from Paul Johnson since TMFFuz brought up his name. This is a post I made on another gorilla board over at SI:

RE: ....speaking of valuations....

After all the chat about valuations, metrics and various ratios - here's an interesting comment from one of our book's co-authors, Paul Johnson, who was on CNNfn yesterday with his 4 stock picks (http://www.hostedscripts.com/boards/stockpicks/messages/246.html) of Brocade, Redback, Juniper and Sycamore:

http://www.tveyes.com/database/expand.asp?ln=1622344&key=brocade

Valerie: All right and last is Brocade...

Paul Johnson: Yes, Brocade. As we move to the Internet, one of the things we've seen is that storage has become critical to all applications and where Brocade goes is what is called a fiber channel switch that allows high speed network coming to the storage world.

Valerie: We have 30 seconds left. We need to say a word about valuations.

Johnson: Most people get stuck on valuations when they're investing and in technology you want to pick the winners, the franchise name and with volatility you'll buy more, but you don't let valuation dictate your investment policy. Buy the best companies. The valuation will take care of itself.

Valerie: It's great talking to you. Paul Johnson, the senior technology analyst at Robertson Stephens.

I wonder how he views the difference in the high prices over the past few months to the lows they hit and the valuation differences were:

Redback - $198 to $50

Brocade - $185 to $90

Sycamore - $199 to the $50's

Juniper - $312 to $150

BB

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.