Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
One thing about Square, you don't get "instructions" and not everything is intuitive. I am fortunate in that I am often at a festival or in a situation where there are other vendors using Square, and have been able to get answers from other users when something comes up. I would find someone you know (a hairdresser? I know most are using Square these days) and run through a few scenarios to get you to a comfort level.

I noticed that. Our friend that uses it says he'll help.

When I first got my Square, I practiced using it with one of my own credit cards using small amounts.

That is a great idea.

I put in an application for Square. Poof it's done. It didn't ask for my first born or anything.

I did order the chip card reader, the swipe reader was free. It should be here in 5-7 days.

I'm amazed at the stuff the other providers need to set up the service. You would think I was applying for a loan.

One of the funny things was the ap from Evalon that I mentioned above. I'm going to fill out the application on line and see if I get the same results. It's asking for DH and my driver's license numbers.

Merchante-solutions asked for my SS-4. What it the world. That the application for getting a federal ID number. I wouldn't even know where to look now. That was 32+ years ago.

Also a copy of the business license and DH and my driver's license. Not just the number they want to see it.

These are the folks that have been servicing our CC since we started taking them That was in 2005, we were late to the accepting CC. We had to start in order to get payment from the Corp of Engineers. That's the only way they will pay.

FWIW, I ran the numbers on last years charges. The lowest % fee month (highest CC sales) was 3.1%

Square is 2.75 for a swipe. We do have some hand keyed they are at 3.5 plus $.15

They deduct the fee for each transaction. So if I make a sale of $100 they deposit $97.25.

Our current provider charges our account at the end of the month. They charge all the fees at once.

FWIW, I give plant customers a paper receipt and the CC receipt. So now they will just get the paper receipt and an emailed or text one if they want and I can figure out how to do it.

I was talking to someone in town and they said the Chamber of Commerce went to Staples and picked one up to use at their fund raising auction.

Thanks for all the input.

Jean
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.