Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is property taxes. In Idaho, you have two options for property taxes on forested land--pay higher taxes now, or pay lower taxes now and pay some additional when you sell either the land or the timber.

The tax information for forestry stuff is hard to come by. The Form T is a good start, along with Publications 225 (Farmer's Tax Guide) and 535 (Business Expenses). You will need to read very carefully, as much of the information will appear to be contradictory initially.

Also, check with your county extension agent--ours tend to be really good. They might also have access to grant information or tax programs that will pay you to help you get started; to agree not to disturb portions of your land; to fallow your land; to use natural/limited pesticides (like birds :-)); to encourage wildlife; etc. If your state's agricultural department has a website, might be able to find out some stuff there. If you have a land-grant university nearby, the school of agriculture might have some information.

Have fun planting those 900 walnut trees!!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.