Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
One thing to consider is that it doesn't have to be "buy an annuity" versus "do something else." You can do both, which is what I did earlier this year.

As a retired professor, I had 40 years of contributions compounding in TIAA. After studying all the plusses and minuses, I decided to use about a third of it to buy a plain vanilla "single premium immediate annuity" (SPIA) with a 15 year payout guarantee to the last survivor (wife or myself), or to my daughter should we both depart before then. Together with our Social Security, this provides an adequate guaranteed annual income for life, even if we both end up incapacitated. (We're both in excellent health, but you never know.)

It's basically longevity insurance, and I bought it for that purpose (like any other kind of insurance). TIAA is as rock solid as anything can be in this world.

As others have noted, every extra bell or whistle on an annuity costs you, so keep it simple. Same goes for the "variable" annuities. I wasn't buying this as an investment vehicle, and so I didn't want or need that "feature."

With the other two-thirds (plus my non-TIAA investments), we can do what we want ... which is exactly what we're doing.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.