Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello again!
This is a continuation of my last post, see "Buying from Enterprise vs. a brand new car"
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20211615&sort=whole#20257017

But now I actually real car choices that I would like common on...

From a Pontiac dealer:
2003 Corolla LE, no additional options. 19070 miles, $12900 (seemed a fair price by kbb and nada). Still has 21 months of bumper to bumper, and 45 months of powertrain warranty remaining. The car is not "Toyota certified". The 102-point check was done by the Pontiac mechanics. Carfax reports showed this 03 Corrola was a rental car. no accidents/ floods or anything bad. For some reason, previous activity showed a "dealer inventory" on 9/10/03, and another "dealer inventory" on 1/21/04 (which is probably the purchase by the pontiac dealer). When I was looking at cars at Enterprise, I was told that the vehicles that failed ASE 102 point certification are sold to dealers, and only the ones that passed everything were sold at Enterprise. My insurance policy would not offer bumper to bumper (mechanical breakdown insurance) on an old vehicle. and the extended warranty from the dealer is (ouch)--$1270 for powertrain 100000 miles.

I am comparing it to:
a new 04 Civic LX (lowest quote I have gotten is $15261)
a new 04 Corrola LE (I could probably get it for $14800)
I can get bumper to bumper warranty for any new vehicle for up to 7 years/ 100000 miles with a $250 deductible from Geigo for $4.33 a month

My qustion is: new or old? Are (1) 20000 miles and (2) knowing that nobody had abused it and (3) being able to get the mecahnical breakdown insurance at a low cost worth $2000+tax?

I tend to drive cars to the earth. I have been driving my Nissan sentra 88 till now (until it was totaled).

Any opinions will be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Annie

Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.