A Good Example of What Not to Do.

One’s first response should be sympathy. But one’s second response should be scorn, especially when the median household income in the US for 2021 was $68k. How could anyone lose 3x that in just one year? Arrogance and a sense of “entitlement” are the obvious answers and the belief that “Of course, stock prices always just go up.” Now that person is scrambling to fix a problem she created, not TMF.

I’m sorry Arindam, but I respectfully disagree.

I actually have respect for the OP. Her first line was: I am ready to cut my losses and exit the MF portfolio I started a year ago and would appreciate some advice. She originally was actively involved in investing, did work with MF and did fine. But life, as it does, got in the way and she got too busy to do it. Now she made the decision to go back to MF since it had worked before. She now identifies that as an error and was asking for help. I give her credit for asking for help. There is nothing bad about that.

Her exact amount being down is not absolutely clear (nor does it really matter). She stated they are down 200k but as an earlier poster was discussing, that has to be put in context with the total. She did make a reference to have resulted in a 15% loss over the past year in our portfolio. So maybe she is down 15%. The Nasdaq is still about 15% down after being down 20+%. If you were following Saul and those folks and invested heavily in UPST, you could be 70% down still. Point is, she has a TON of company and I don’t feel needs to be stepped on. I applaud her wanting to ask for help.

We all have had issues in our journeys of investing, I see no reason to look at her journey as Arrogance and a sense of “entitlement”, rather, an attempt to do the right thing that ended up wrong. And now she’s asking for help to sort out the right path. If you have never, ever had a draw-down in your investing career, then consider yourself beyond lucky or that you have lied to yourself.

Lakedog

7 Likes