No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

My one experience trying to start up an online banking account was met with a month of frustrations and concluded without an account.

I tried starting an account with NetBank, but after I filled out the application they requested I fill out an affidavit of identification. I had just started switching all of my bills over to a new street address because I would be moving within a few weeks -- along with the affidavit I was supposed to include a copy of a utility bill (with my address on it) or a copy of my lease/mortgage.

The problems started right then and there...

1) the street address I used on the application I later found out was not able to be used because the Post Office does not link street addresses and post office boxes (as the PO did in my town growing up), so any mail delivered to my street address was sent back to the sender. For some reason I couldn't get them to change my address to my PO box or even get them to delete the application so I could resubmit it with the right mailing address.

2) I moved in with a friend, thus I had no utility bills and no lease/mortgage with my address on it (which wouldn't have been useful anyway, because any mail they sent to me at my street address to confirm my account would have been returned to them as undeliverable). Along with the affidavit I also included a copy of my passport... thinking that a federal document would be worth a bit more than a copy of a utility bill.

After a month and a half and 5 phone calls to their customer service dept (where i had to explain the situation all over again each time because they didn't document my situation because I didn't have an account number yet....) I was finally told my problem would be given to a supervisor and "elevated" .. after that point I never heard from them again and when I went to check on my pending application, it didn't exist anymore.

Soooo... my reason for posting is to ask the following question:

If I apply for an account with ING and/or EmigrantDirect, are they going to ask me to send them a copy of my Drivers license, Social security card, an affidavit of identification signed by a notary public and a copy of a utility bill or mortgage/lease to confirm my address?

I'd rather not spend another month just trying to setup a savings account.

I really enjoyed the idea of getting an ATM/Debit card along with high interest rates as NetBank was offering (plus the ability to directly deposit my paycheck into the account)... Which bank offer high interest rates and ATM/debit along with direct deposit abilities without fees?

I've asked a lot of questions and I greatly appreciate anyone taking time to answer them!

Here's to becoming a worthy Fool!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.