Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Only 21% of his study group had a mortgage balance of $300,000.

If you read his book, you will learn the average millionaire realizes 3.3% of his net worth as income, to live on. If that is the case, I find it incredbile to hear you assert they are making payments on $300,000 houses

Tele,

I'm certainly not making these statistics up. I'm looking at the same tables you are.
Table 8-5: From the Stanley study (N=733)
13.0% had mortgages of $300,000 to $499,999
16.3% had mortgages of $500,000 to $999,999
04.7% had mortgages of $1,000,000 or more
-------
34.0% had outstanding mortgages greater than $300,000

I'm not sure where you are getting the 21% from.

The average home purchase in this group of 733 millionaires in Stanley's study purchased their home for an average price of $560,000 (p. 306 first paragraph) and Table 8-2 supports this.

You seem to be taking Stanley's study of millionaires and combining it with the IRS study (Table 8-8). I don't think you can necessarily do that. The $277,000 average home value you mention is NOT Stanley's study, it's the IRS's.

I think the purpose of Table 8-8 in Stanley's book is simply to illustrate the point of millionaire wealth compared to their current home value. The IRS study suggests nothing about the purchase price of these homes or how these millionaires treated their mortgages. Stanley's findings, however, taken together do just that.

Also, among the 733 millionaires in Stanley's study the The typical meadian level of net worth was $4.3 million while the median income was $436,000 (p. 7). Thus the "income realization" figure is more like 10%, not the 3.3% you mention.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.