Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Only federal, state, and local income taxes are charged on pension income, not FICA.

If you made any after-tax contributions to the pension fund, the 1099R form reporting the income from the pension for the tax year will indicate that the taxable amount is either not determined or the taxable amount (in box 2a) will be different from (lower than) the gross distribution amount in box 1. If the taxable amount is not determined, there's a table and worksheet that guides the calculation for coming up with the taxable amount.

Be aware that you need to cover the tax due on pension income either by making estimated tax payments (to state and local as well as IRS) or by asking the payer of the pension to withhold taxes, in the same way as an employer does for salary income. If you're going to pay estimated tax, you need either to come within 10% or $1,000 of the total tax bill for the year (sometimes this is very difficult to forecast!) or pay as much as the total tax bill was for the preceding year (this is called "safe harbor").

Karl (an AARP Tax-Aide counselor)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.