No. of Recommendations: 3
Only in the spirit of good debate -

1) - So let me make this challenge to you who seems to advocate avoiding premiums. ??????

Thought what I said was -
<snip> Clearly, understand I am not saying never pay a premium - but only pay a premium if you are ok with buying the problems that come with that end of the price spectrum at that time!! </snip>

2) But you shouldn't infer from my disclaimer that all methods have equal efficacy

Did I infer that??
<snip>In some markets/rate conditions - trading book with rising rates or if you believe in mean reverting spreads - perhaps a premium may not be a bad thing.<snip>

The reason for the "perhaps" is we don't know the future -

So it appears that this old rock is open to times when the "efficacy" varies.. and clearly there are two methods stated right there.

3)
I was very careful, this time, to preface my post with the caveat that "there as many ways of doing bond-investing as there are bond-investors."

Yes - you were and that was a point of agreement.

4)
So a judicious amount of each has to be bought.

This is the point of disagreement! This statement - saying "all" should buy (at least some part of the portfolio) at a premium is in the same box as saying "no one" should buy at a premium.

5)
Post your bond positions, for all the world to see, and I'll do the same, and let others determine for themselves who has achieved:

(1) The better absolute returns.
(2) The better risk-adjusted returns.

LOL - as there are many different investors, there are many different styles and requirements for a portfolio -

The better absolute returns - is the ultimate red herring!

Thought experiment:

Just sold my lifes work of a company - I have $5MM, am 75 years old w/ no kids and required expenses are $40,000 per year (but I may spend $100,000 and do some travel and volunteer work) - my only concern is capital preservation. I just opened a Treasury Direct account and at the next auction I am going to buy $2MM 5 year UST, $2MM 10 year. The rest laddered in the local community bank FDIC insured CD's (got a waitress at the local village inn that thinks I am hot so between the two of us, that is $1MM in insurance)

So there is "my portfolio" bought at par, no discount and no premium using your +/-1%

$2MM 5 yr UST
$2MM 10 yr UST

My risk-adjusted return is exactly where I want it! Absolute returns - who cares!!!

Is that your style - No:
Is that my style - No:
Is that a style - Yes:

A 100% viable contra example to your statement:

So a judicious amount of each has to be bought.

6)
will lose the fight.

Yes - all (I) have to do is park money which is an investing style. Just like if some one does not want to pay a premium, that is an investing style. Their style and a constriant they can live with.

7)
(1) The better absolute returns.
(2) The better risk-adjusted returns.

If we want to look at "absolute" returns - there is an immeasurable amout of absolute return in following your investment style and sleeping at night so if I were to take you up on the "post my portfolio challenge" what exactly would the measure be?? Oh - just the financial numbers....

And - how are we going to measure risk-adjusted return - interest rate risk, credit spread risk, longevity risk, credit/default risk, social risk, shortfall risk, inflation risk, FX risk, geopolitical risk, my waitress at Village Inn risk????

So - again in the spirit of debate:

What are the benefits (and consequences) of never buying at a premium? What are the benefits (and consequences) of rejecting that constraint? That's a theoretical question and nearly unanswerable.

You can only attempt to answer that question for you and give your opinion from/of your view point. Which is exactly what you are saying about folks who say that you should never buy at a premium. So in explaining your view point - don't violate the founding principal of your argument and tell some one else they have to buy at a premium!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.