Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Only used bandwidth is shared. If you have 100 users online, but only 1 person is doing anything, he'll have the full bandwidth. A webpage takes only a second to load, this isn't much of an issue for traditional web usage.

And moreover, it can be an issue for ADSL too. Because the full bandwidth is only from, say, your house to the next desination. If that destination is an ADSL connection at work, you will hvae the full 1M. But if that destination is an internet site (and it is not cached locally by your provider) your bandwidth is sliced and diced just like cable, not to mention whether the internet backbone you hit can handle the capacity.

I think these technologies will rise and fall based more on how well they cache locally than where/whether the bandwidth is shared. I assume AOL already has a head start here in just plain web (I'm not real familiar with their setup -- do they cache locally?) But ATHM probably already has the edge in multimedia.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.