Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 13
OperaBob,
Thanks for the compliment. I am generally not online as long as it takes to compose an extended reply, but today the timing has been right.

I see you and the more regular posters helping many folks here, and for the most part doing a great job. I just want to try and share the knowledge when I feel I have something "meaningful?" to help others coming down the same road I have traveled.

I got started investing in high school when I signed up for the stock purchase plan at my employer. Thankfully, my employer was Wal-Mart. I wouldn't necessarily want to still be employed there, but the stock has been quite good for us.

My investment thoughts came into extreme focus when I got married as it occurred to me that I had better do more than I had done in the way of being a financially responsible spouse. That was the trigger that has made all difference.

I don't know how to compel everyone to do the financially responsible right thing, because everyone is different, has different issues and differing perspectives. However, once they become enlightened, I like to help those that I can.

There is a country song by David Lee Murphy called "The Road You Leave Behind" that kind of illustrates my attitude here on these boards.
Even if country music makes your ears bleed, it is better to hear it than read it. (The lyrics are here)
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/SongUnid/913292EC85FEB8DF4825694C00166C75
"I said, "What do I owe you friend? You could easily passed me by."
He said, "Next time it might be me son. You don't me a dime."

I see that this has been more of a ramble (and somewhat OFF-Topic) than any help, but I want you kind folks out there to know that what you do in helping and perpetuating the ongoing discussions and informed opinions regarding any topic of the moment is greatly appreciated.

I always look forward to logging back on and seeing what has happened since I was here last and catching up on what is happening now.

Good evening!
exilion
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.