Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As I mentioned in my previous post, operating margins are something to watch with Dolby.

One of the big reasons that Dolby was recommended by Stock Advisor was the operating margin in excess of 50%. It was sold after the margin dropping as DVD and PC revenue evaporated. Even though Dolby managed to make up the revenue elsewhere, growth stopped and expenses came up as they scrambled to make new products.

Year Op Margin(%)
2008 44.8
2009 50.5
2010 46.5
2011 44.7
2012 38.8
2013 27.0
2014 28.5
2015 22.0
2016 22.6
2017 23.0

It looks like it may have bottomed and might be starting to turn ever so slightly. What should we be looking for in future quarters? Revenues need to get to double-digit growth as they have been predicting for as many conference calls as I can remember. They need to keep SG&A expenses in check. R&D expenses need to come down. They shouldn't need to invest as much in R&D at this point in the product cycle.

They are guiding for modest revenue growth in 2018 (about 6 - 7%) and op ex about 2% higher than last year. Maybe they are setting a low bar that they can easily get over. I'll be interested to hear what they say about R&D expenses in the next call.

I gave Dolby a thumbs up in Caps back in Feb 2012 and extended the pick in Jan 2015. It is up 103.55% compared to 107.14% for the S&P 500. My start price was $32.10 and today it is $65.35 (a double). That's not market-beating by any means, but it is not too far behind... Greg (DLB shareholder, still long DLB)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.