No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone have the OPT OUT number handy? The search engine on this site for prior years is a bit lacking ...

For some reason, I've started getting CC offers in the mail again ... perhaps the OPT OUT is only for a certain period of time?

TIA

CPAScott
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Here you go

The national credit bureaus offer a toll-free number that enables consumers to opt-out of all pre-approved credit offers with just one phone call. Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) for more information.

http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/protect.htm

LB
Scott,

you are probably getting the offers because your banks are selling your info to credit card issuers. Have you filled out privacy agreements with all your banks?

-b-
There is a two year limit to the opt out.

I think if you do it in writing vs. calling it lasts longer.

Of course if you move all bets are off and you have to do it again because of the new address.

Ask them when you call to confirm. I think in writing it lasts 5 years.
There are two ways to do the opt out, you can opt out permanently or for two years. So, if you did the two-year route, it may have expired.

Or, they may be getting your name another way. I seem to be getting lots of offers these days from organizations I have associations with -- my union, groups I belong to like AAA, my undergraduate school, etc.

And I bought someone a present at Babies R Us the other day, or some such place, and now I'm on the list on new moms -- every day I get stuff in the mail, and phone calls, like, "Ma'am, do you want pictures of your new baby?" I'm like, "The five-year old?" It's freaky, and annoying, but I guess they're trying to do directed marketing. I get diaper coupons in the mail, but I guess it's better than the equally (or I guess even more so) inappropriate emails offering to supersize body parts I also don't have. :-)

--Booa (sorry about the OT rant...)
No. of Recommendations: 1
inappropriate emails offering to supersize body parts I also don't have

Yeah, what is UP with that? They must have one HUGE marketing budget, based on the number of emails I get daily!

SS
The national credit bureaus offer a toll-free number that enables consumers to opt-out of all pre-approved credit offers with just one phone call. Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) for more information.
http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/protect.htm

Thanks!!!!! I just finished calling!!!!!

Payitoff
No. of Recommendations: 4
Yeah, what is UP with that? They must have one HUGE marketing budget, based on the number of emails I get daily!

They look LONG and HARD to try and find new customers.

dt