Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Can anybody enlighten me as to how calls and puts are supposed to be entered for taxes?

positions that were opened and closed in the year are clear, everything is short term obviously.

What about sold (written) calls or sold (written) puts for expiration in the next year that were still open at year end? Do I declare the cash in hand on 12/31 as income? Or is that income delayed until either the expiration or a trade that closes the position?

And, if something exercises on a written put are those situations 2 separate trades or is it rolled together after the fact?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.