Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Original query:
Since a Roth IRA is not taxable at distribution, how are trade commissions handled within the account?

donk23's reply:
Any fees and commissions are simply paid from the account's assets. Those payments aren't considered distributions since they're not going to you as the owner.

I add, before you ask:
You also can't contribute any extra to the IRA to cover trading commissions. They have to be paid from the IRA assets. The only exception is an annual or other periodic account maintenance fee. You can pay that directly from non-IRA assets. (And it's even deductable as a miscellaneous itemized deduction if you do so!)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.