Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Osteopathy in the UK is now regarded as an Alternative medical treatment, alternative in the UK meaning outside the control of allopathy but practised by highly qualified people as they have decided voluntarily to become regulated and can now diagnose certain conditions without any referral to doctors and their services can be had as a direct alternative to established medical ones.
http://www.osteopathy.org.uk/registration/
Osteopathy is no longer classed as complementary, so I didn't include them in my list.

You should be aware of a big distinction between osteopathy as it's practised in the UK and here in the US.

British osteopaths have for the most part always confined their practise to musculo-skeletal stuff without attempting to expand into what you call "allopathy" (aka "medicine") The training programme in no way parallels that of physicians and their scope of practice doesn't resemble general medical care.

Here in the US, although osteopathy had its origins in a slightly "fringe" form of chiropractic type of manipulation, the training requirements and licensing demands are similar to that of an MD. Obviously schools of osteopathy don't have the physical infrastructure of a medical school, but students receive their clinical training alonside medical students at accredited medical schools (not places like Harvard or Cornell....come to think of it, I don' t know which ones that do provide these resources but they go somewhere) As a consequence, DO's (Doctors of Osteopathy) can practise general medicine...pretty indistinguishable from MDs but for their qualification.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.