Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The intricacies of tax laws know no bounds.

Taxing Question: Do You Eat Chocolate Fondue Straight From The Pouch?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/2013/07/16/taxing-qu...

I thought some might find it amusing. 8-)
Print the post Back To Top
Taxing Question: Do You Eat Chocolate Fondue Straight From The Pouch?

Taxing answer: Only if you're a kangaroo.

Barbara
Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 28
There are so many places in taxation where intent matters. I you're planning to eat it with a spoon, it's candy. With a shoehorn, not.

The story did remind me of a true story from my DC past. At least in those days DC didn't tax food for home prep, but did tax candy. This was before fully computerized cash registers and scanners, so each item had to be rung up by the cashier.

My list one day included baking (unsweetened) chocolate. The box said something to the effect of "for baking and candy." The cashier rang it up as taxable. I pointed out to her that it was for home prep, not for eating as is. She stopped chomping on her gum, gave me that "you idiot" look, and wordlessly pointed to the word "candy" on the box. I offered her a piece to make my point, and the nimrod accepted the offer. It was worth the price of the lost square and the sales tax just to see the look on her face.

Philf
No. of Recommendations: 0
Nice one! (My mom let me sample it as a kid.)

Shopping in a small store I once gave the clerk fits when he rang up the price with the sales tax already included, so there was no record of the tax. I insisted that if he didn't record it as sales tax I wasn't going to pay anything more than the base price.

Guess I was just feeling ornery that day. Sometimes I can be a real PITA. 8-)
Shopping in a small store I once gave the clerk fits when he rang up the price with the sales tax already included, so there was no record of the tax. I insisted that if he didn't record it as sales tax I wasn't going to pay anything more than the base price.

This is more of a problem for the store than you. Sales tax can be included or added, but consistency is needed for reporting taxable income. Inconsistently including sales taxes means that the store is likely to have to pay sales tax on the included sales tax.
Inconsistently including sales taxes means that the store is likely to have to pay sales tax on the included sales tax.

But a store that sells a lot of untaxed items could be collecting it without passing it on to the state.
No. of Recommendations: 5
My list one day included baking (unsweetened) chocolate.

I like to dip strawberries in molten chocolate. But the stuff sold as semi-sweet is a bit too sweet for me when coating strawberries, so I also have some unsweetened chocolate on hand and add a few squares to the (double boiler) pot.

One day I had the urge for chocolate, and all that was on hand was the unsweetened kind. I tried to eat 1/2 square, with the results as expected. So I found a solution. I opened a bottle of Grade B maple syrup, and put some in a teaspoon, and alternated between the chocolate and the maple syrup. It is not bad during a chocolate emergency.
It is not bad during a chocolate emergency.

Like they say, any port in a storm. Gotta love that Amurrican ingenuity.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool